Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Don't Talk Yourself Into Taking Jobs

In my last job search, I ended the selection process three times with different organizations because I knew that I didn't actually want to work that job every day. At the time, I knew that I still needed to find a job very soon but my husband was very supportive and encouraged me to wait for the right position. As he told me the other night, a job is a long term relationship. It requires commitment. In the same way that I as a hiring manager have to pay attention to every "red flag" with a candidate, you as the candidate need to focus on every possible sign that this may not be the job for you.

A few red flags to look out for: If you don't "click" with the hiring manager (usually your new boss). This is a big one. Another: you would only work in that job because it would be a good "step up" from what you are doing now. Wait for the right job. It's not worth it to work a "place-holder job" - you won't be satisfied and it's not fair to the employer.

There some similarities to dating here. Don't focus so much on being liked that you forget to think about what you want. Don't morph yourself into who you think the employer wants to hire. If your skills and talent isn't a great fit for the company, move on. The worst thing you can do is talk yourself into doing a job you don't want and pretending to be someone you aren't. As Shakespeare himself said "To thine own self be true."

No comments:

Post a Comment